Monday, April 15, 2013

Thoughts, insights, and miscalculations...

1. The trail is NOT easy

No, I didn't come into this thinking it was going to be a stroll in the woods. But, I also didn't expect it to be as physically demanding as it is. Especially, since I bike, swim, run, lift, on a regular basis. I can't imagine how hard this trail would be on someone starting it out of shape.

2. Fancy maps & compasses aren't needed

As far as Georgia is concerned you don't need these things. The trail is very well marked by white paint on trees every so many yards. It's also very well worn by foot traffic. Water spots, alternate trails, and shelters are also marked by paint and signs.

3. Good quality gear is king

I've seen a few Walmart tents left behind already. Jet Boils and alcohol stoves are the king out here.

4. Useless gear

It makes great campfire stories. Everyone has one about someone they know telling them they will need things like a saw, pots & pans, fire fuel, camping chairs, and the like. Someone mentioned a guy at the start having 75lbs worth of gear like this. I couldn't imagine trying to lug that around on this trail.

5. Every thru hiker becomes a gram nazi

When you're doing 12-20 miles a day you can't help but think about the little things. Less weight means faster, longer, more enjoyable, and less injuries. I've already sent home things like a multitool sheath, jet boil stand, deodorant, stove parts, and extra socks. I'm planning on sending home the case my Steripen slides into as we'll as my knife.

6. The trail is anything but direct

Expect to go over the mountain vs. around the mountain 90% of the time. I honestly thought the trail would wind through the mountains more as that would seem logical if I was blazing a trail.

7. Keep your nether regions clean

Wet wipes are the best invention. Use them when you go during the day and again at night if you still have funk.

8. Buy good food

I've been giving away Marathon bars because they are physically tiring to eat. I bought Ramen Noodles for the first time in years because I've been craving salt. I also bought some packaged chili and bacon bits. These things are practical (canned soup isn't) and a moral boost. I've also noticed chewing on starburst while walking works well and tastes great.

9. Bears are smart

Just because you hung your food bag correctly doesn't mean the creature won't cut your line or climb the tree to get it. I've already seen two food bags destroyed in the first week that were hung correctly.







18 comments:

  1. Good luck on your journey. Glad you can blog. Julie said hi and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what have you needed that you didn't have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't really think of anything but good food.

      Delete
  3. i am curious if the bear can is still around

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Jared! I wanted to say hi and that I'm really enjoying the blog. It's neat to see how you're adapting and meeting new friends. Love the pictures. Hope you are able to get some more comfortable shoes or inserts to alleviate the discomfort you're feeling. Take care and congrats on the first 100 miles!!

    This is Kristy, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a 12 mile hike tomorrow and at the end should be a place that has inserts.

      Delete
  5. Have you seen any bears? How about keeping the knife, you might really need it. We are tracking you in the book you gave us. Is Hump going the entire distance? Stay safe be sure to send a SPOT signal everyday so I don't worry.

    Love MOM and DAD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't seen any bears. The knife is gone now. Hump is going the distance even if he has to crawl.

      Delete
  6. I had a feeling you would find that knife to be a bit cumbersome. So... you can send it home and lighten the load. Or... you can defy logic and proudly wear it the entire journey. By the end of the journey, people will forever remember Chakenbake and his big knife. Do you think we would forever remember Jim Bowie at Alamo if he hadn't carried such a huge knife? Your call bro. Your legacy.

    Also, now that you have seen torn open bear bags and haven't had to mess with stringing one up every night, are you happy with your decision to bring the bear canister?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Already sent the knife home. Every little bit to help my aching feet. Maybe I'll sport a mohawk.

      The bear canister is way better than a bag. Keeps food from crunching in my bag, it's a good seat, and it holds in odor.

      Delete
  7. I just checked your spot coordinates from today (4/16). You covered some crazy distance. I'm impressed. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deodorant? Hrrmmm. Guess your not hiking with trail babes. Your legacy bro ;)

    I got an app for my iPhone that pulls up your coordinates for the past 7 days. Great progress. Jealous that you'll be going thru the blue ridge. It's beautiful. Lemme know if you want me to rustle up some Roanoke folks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The women out here stink worse than us men.

      The iPhone ap works with the SPOT?

      Delete
    2. There's an app where you insert the spot website. It then pulls up the data and gps locations on a google type map.

      Delete