Thursday, April 11, 2013

12 hrs, 24 Miles, 10k ft of elevation change...

Couldn't post last night because I had no signal. Here's what happened today:

- 24 miles of hiking.
- 10,000 ft of elevation change.
- Didn't see anyone for 10 hours (rain).
- Hiked a third of that time in the rain.
- Only are 500 calories but felt good.
- Hiked about an hour in the dark.
- Hitched a ride into town.

And I made it to Dicks Creek a little past 8pm after starting at 8am. Was about to camp on the side of the road in the rain when I heard the sound of a Diesel engine heading towards me. I tossed out the thumb and a nice older gentlemen gave me a ride to the Holiday Inn in Hiawassee GA. He also gave me some fries, but I could only get down a few since I really didn't eat all day.

After checking in to the hotel I decided to walk down the road to the local McDonalds to scarf down a two cheeseburger meal. But what would you know ... Dave aka Hump (ex Ranger) was sitting outside smoking. Small world because he could of went to the other town in the area or one of the many hotels in this town. Apparently Yolo and him put in 20 miles today just to get here.

As for McDonalds, I jogged there. Must be the endorphins. However, I didn't eat the three supersize meals I was planning to. I could barely get down one without throwing up. I'm guessing the exertion and lack of food has something to do with it because I feel fine otherwise.

After walking back to the hotel in the thunderstorm I headed up to Hump & Yolo's room for some wheat beer (they invited me earlier). We all chatted about the brutal day and our plans for the next few days.

Yolo is hitting the trail again tomorrow so he can get to Franklin NC on Sunday to pick up a mail drop. He invited Hump & I to join him at his buddy's lake house if we make it there by Sunday. Hump and I agreed to split a room tomorrow. This will be my first zero day. I'm looking forward to some grocery shopping, a buzz cut, some rest, and a pizza buffet.

All in all, I feel pretty good.




5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Well he didn't make me squeal like a pig...

      Delete
  2. so how is the beard coming in? will we see its progression as time goes on? Oh and Matthew says hello and to hurry up and come back lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Post some pictures of Yolo and Hump. I want to see what other people who decide to ditch real life for "making their brother jealous 24/7" look like.

    I'm also interested in hearing how well things went versus how you expected them to go. Did you have enough food, too much food, did you freak out on the trail because you thought you were not going to make it? Is everyone on the trail cool... any creepy people? Are you the creepy guy on the trail?

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's definitely the creeper on the trail.

    ReplyDelete