Monday, April 22, 2013

Journey to the Smokey Mountains

Well... we left the NOC late Saturday and only put in 7 miles. We got to Sassafras Gap Shelter a little before the sun went down. It's a nice shelter, but there weren't any level tent spots so I had to setup slightly downhill. After doing that, we sat around the fire drinking vodka and talking conspiracy theories. A hiker called Sing-a-long definitely took the conspiracy theory award. I remember going to sleep and hearing him go on for at least another hour. To end the night a hiker called Chubby (thats what we were drinking the vodka out of and he had 4 bottles) was so drunk he rolled down the hill. The funny thing was he didn't even cry out... everyone simply noticed he disappeared. Luckily he was okay, but he was so drunk Hump and Sing-a-long had to carry him up the hill to the shelter.

The following morning Hump and I set out with the goal to hike 21 miles to Fontana Dam. Things were going good until we hit this 800ft half mile climb called Jacobs Ladder. It was probably the toughest ascent so far (pic below). However, another hiker and I missed the water source right after and that's when things went downhill for me. I started getting thirsty, sluggish, and my feet started aching again real bad. I finally got some water 7 miles later but I was exhausted by then. I made it a few more miles to Cable Gap Shelter for a total of 15.2 miles. Hump steamrolled ahead and I assume he made it to Fontana Dam by 6pm (dude is fast).

I thought about pushing for another 5 miles, but I decided to listen to my body and lay down camp. I quickly set up my tent and spent the next hour massaging my feet because they ached something fierce. I was so exhausted that I didn't leave my tent the rest of the evening. I just sat and ate, massaged my feet, and rested. There was a nice fire going at the shelter, but I had zero desire to walk from my tent to participate. My goal is to wake up early tomorrow and get to Fontana Dam before noon. Once there, I can eat, resupply, and start the Smokey Mountains.

Sleeeeeeeepp....





4 comments:

  1. Never ever miss water. What's with your feet? Boots still not broke in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have I huge arch and it puts a lot of pressure on the balls of my feet. I've spoken to a few people with the same issue and they all said metatarsal pads helped a lot. Only problem is they're only found in the city. It's not a huge issue... my feet just get sore around mile 15.

      Delete
  2. Did you get your gel inserts? Absorbine Jr will soothe aching feet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got some super feet insoles a few stops back. They've helped a bit.

      Delete