Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A little AT jaded

After doing huge miles in New Jersey and New York I started getting a little jaded with the trail after crossing into Connecticut and Massachusetts. I know some of it was due to being exhausted, and some of it because I hadn't really seen anyone familiar.  Yet, most of it is because step after step has been mostly the same lately with diminishing views because of heavy foliage... of course that is my perspective.

After crossing into Vermont the sentiments I was feeling got worse.  My second day in Vermont was nothing but dark forest, rock scrambles, and muddy trail.  As I was laying in my tent on the second night I could hear vehicles close by.  Knowing that I was 15 trail miles from a package drop in town, dreading more mud, and thinking the road those vehicles were on must connect to a paved road ... I decided to check google maps on my phone.  Sure enough, that mountain road connected to a road leading into Bennington VT.  The best part, it was a direct ten mile walk and didn't require a five mile hitch into town like the trail would.

I started off the next morning and quickly found the road.  Let me tell you, that road was rough.  It was rocky, uneven, and large portions of it had water flowing down it.  Eventually, I got to the main road.  While walking down the road into town I could see mountains, streams, and beautiful farm land everywhere.  I even walked by two turkeys running through a field (picture below).  It was then that I realized I wanted to bicycle some more because just simply walking down the country road brought a smile to my face.

After picking up my winter clothes in town and staying in the worst motel in the North East I moved across town to a nice little place close to the Walmart.  Unfortunately, this wally-world was small so my bike choices were limited.  It came down to a cheap hybrid road bike and a cheap mountain bike.  I decided on the mountain bike because of the added suspension and more upright posture (carrying my backpack).

The next morning around noon I set off.  Luckily, the hills I hit on the way to Manchester had equal downhills.  But, it didn't take long for anything in contact with the seat to start hurting.  Yet, the beautiful weather and awesome scenery made the discomfort worth it.  It also helps that I knocked out 20 miles in a few hours.  Quickly I reached Manchester (ski town).  I decided I had plenty of time to do another 30-40 miles if the terrain wasn't hilly so I kept on.  Unfortunately, right outside of town I had a huge uphill and to make things worse the chain came off the front sprocket (bike doesn't like the lowest gears).

After fixing the chain and making it to the top of the hill it wasn't long before I made it to Ludlow VT.  It helps that I hit a couple 50mph downhills.  I stayed in Ludlow for the night and set off again at 11am the next morning.  The whole day was amazing.  I got to ride along a river for miles.  I sat and ate with an older bicycling couple from Florida at a small dairy bar in Weathersfield.  And I got to ride through some nice farm land and small towns along highway 12A into New Hampshire.

I feel reenergized after my bicycle blaze.  I'm ready to tackle the Whites.  Furthermore, I don't feel so rushed after so many miles covered so quickly.  The next 400 miles as I'm told are the most beautiful and hardest parts of the trail.  I look forward to soaking up the best the AT has to offer.  And eventually summiting Katahdin with a bottle of Jack Daniels single barrel.











No comments:

Post a Comment