Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Lost in Tennessee

Oops... wrong turn.

So right after my little ridge run (pic below) yesterday I somehow got off the AT. The trail kept crossing a road and then it tricked me... it didn't cross the road (I think it went up it a little ways). However, there was what looked like a foot trail for about a mile or two. That trail ended up going into some marshy terrain at which point it turned into an old jeep road that looked like it hasn't been used in a decade.

There I was, off the AT for the first time, staring at an old "No Trespassing" sign, and not exactly sure what to do. After a few minutes of thinking, I turned my tracking device on, and continued down this old road thinking, "If a vehicle can get up here it likely leads off the mountain."

After walking for an hour I eventually came to a gate (metal bar across the road). From the gate I could see a town northwest down the mountain. Furthermore, the road looked like it was following a ridge down; I was wrong. The road winded down, up, and around a few more ridges. It was 5pm and I was getting a little discouraged. It was at this point that I decided it would be a good idea to fill up all my water containers to the max with a little stream near the road.

Not long after the stream I came to a fork in the road. One way went up a ridge and the other stayed level and went towards another ridge. I started down the level road. After about a quarter mile the road forked again at a stream. My current path would keep me at elevation on a decent road or I could turn down this more rugged road with which the stream had somewhat overflowed into. I decided that if the water can get out so can I... so down the stream covered road I went.

This stream road was rough. Many parts of it had water running down it. Most of it was either steep or muddy. About a mile down the road I ran into my first water crossing. I took off my shoes, put on my Walmart crocs, and slowly walked across the creek bracing myself with my trekking poles. The cold creek water was actually a little soothing to my achy feet. I had to do this three more times with the water getting deeper and faster each time (pic below). By my fourth crossing the water was past my knees. However, not long after that crossing I came to a campsite which made me feel pretty good. Then, just when I thought that I would have to cross the creek (more like a river now) a fifth time, I was blessed with a rickety wooden bridge. And right after that bridge... a paved road... wooot!

As much of a relief it was to find concrete I still had to get to Erwin Tennessee which was still 10-15 miles away. I walked along the paved road for miles (some houses looked pretty creepy) and made it to the highway right when the lights went out. It was at this point that my feet ached something fierce and all i could think about was hitching. However, this hungry hiker had no luck getting a ride. Honestly, it doesn't surprise me that nobody wants to stop for a scraggly looking hiker wearing a rustic cowboy hat at night. Even a state trooper passed me up! Then some punk decided to purposely swerve at me. Nonetheless, in the distance I eventually saw the beautiful blue glow of the Holiday Inn sign.

After what might have been 40 miles I entered the the hotel for a victory bath and bed. To add to that victory, I got to see Iron Man 3 at the 1900's cinema in town. To my surprise there was an ultra modern theater inside which allowed me to watch the movie in surround sound and Dolby Digital 3D. All-in-all... I'm still alive...

Yeeehaw!











6 comments:

  1. so what you learn from that fiasco?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fine and dandy and all; how was iron man 3?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No wonder I haven't received a SPOT signal in a few days. Nina I. wants to bake cookies and send to you. Do you know what the next town is that you will visit? I am SUPER GLAD you are okay! Love MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ran into any moonshiners yet?

    ReplyDelete